Senate election in 2020
Terms of the Senate by-election in 2020
Constituency Nr. 32 – Teplice
- 1st round
- - Friday, March 27th and Saturday, March 28th, 2020
(is announced by the President of the Czech Republic according to the Article 63, 1 f), Article 16 ,2 and with regard to the Article 17 ,1 of the Constitutional Act No. 1/1993 Coll., Constitution of the Czech Republic, and according to the § 1 Article 3 of the Act No. 247/1995 Coll.)
- 2st round
- - Friday, April 3rd and Saturday, April 4th, 2020
(takes place on the 6th day after the 1st round according to the §76 article 1 of the Act No. 247/1995 Coll., on the Election to the Parliament of the Czech Republic)
|capital||senator in January, 2020|
|32||Teplice||Jaroslav Kubera (to January 20th, 2020) (ODS)|
Note: Click on the constituency number and you will get a summary of the constituency (in Czech only).
Abbreviations of political parties and movements:
- Civic Democratic Party
Constitutional Act No. 1/1993 Coll., Constitution of the Czech Republic
(2) In the Senate there shall be eighty-one Senators, who are elected to a six-year term of office. Every second year elections for one-third of the Senators shall be held.
(1) Elections to both chambers shall be held during the period commencing thirty days prior to the expiration of each electoral term and ending on the day of its expiration.
(1) In addition, the President of the Republic:
f) calls elections to the Assembly of Deputies and the Senate;
Act No. 247/1995 Coll., on the Election to the Parliament of the Czech Republic
The election to the Parliament of the Czech Republic is announced by the President no later that 90 days before the election day. The decree of announcement of the election is published in the Collection of Laws. The day when the part of the Collection of Laws comprising the decree of announcement of the election is circulated is considered the day of announcement of the election.
In case that no candidate obtains the quorum required to the election according to the § 75, the District Authority in the constituency capital arranges the 2nd round which is to take place on the 6th day after the end of voting in 1st round.
(1) If the mandate of a Senator is terminated during the course of his or her term of office for any reason, the President of the Czech Republic shall announce a by-election in the respective constituency where the Senator has been elected and sets the date of the election elected no later than 90 days after the Senator´s mandate has been terminated.
(2) Provisions of this Act apply to by-elections with following reservations: periods according § 1 article 3, § 14c article 1 c) and d), § 14e article 3 and § 61 article 2 e) are shortened by one third. Periods according § 14c article 1 f), § 60 article 4 and § 62 article 1 to 3 and 6 are shortened by 20 days; the period according to § 62 article 7 is shortened to 8 days.
(3) A by-election is not held during the last year of a senator’s term of office.
(4) A senator elected in by-election is elected only for the rest of the term of office of the senator whose mandate was terminated.